Letting Go

To commemorate the release of Kyra Lennon's new novella, If I Let You Go, Kyra's hosting a bloghop in which we talk about our personal experiences with letting go. And to kick up the celebration a notch, today only, If I Let You Go is absolutely FREE in Kindle!

I didn't get past my 4th decade on this Earth without having had to let go of a lot of things. It's never easy, but the good news is, every heartache is given to us for a reason, to either teach us something or lead us somewhere better, even though it often doesn't feel that way at first (e.g. giant spiders in Lord of the Rings, remember?)

A change that proved pivotal for me, because it both taught me a lesson and led me to a better place, was when I had to let go of my beloved little house---the one where my babies were born, the one I Martha-Stewarted the bejeezus out of, the one I thought I'd never leave---to move my family out west.  I'm talking 1/2 hour west, practically straight down Roosevelt Road from one western Chicago 'burb to another. Pathetic, I know.

But it was a really, really tough decision for me. I'd firmly established myself in the miniature suburban Utopia of Glen Ellyn---how could I possibly be as happy in Batavia?  Well guess what, circumstances being what they were (the relative price of real estate, the me not working full time, the husband's freakish tallishness that proved incompatible with the quirkier areas of the home), the move I fought against happened, and the doughnut committee at Benjamin Franklin Elementary School just had to find itself a new chairwoman.  And I had to grow up and realize that the world wouldn't combust if things didn't go exactly the way I'd always foreseen them.

Because Someone Else foresees much better.  I see now that the move helped me shed some things I needed to shed, and it put my family in a corner of the world that's a much better fit for us.  I like this house we're in now. I like it a lot.  But I don't love it. I love the people who live here and the ones who visit and the experiences we have inside.  I'm in a better place.

Visit Kyra's blog for more participants. and don't forget, today only you can get If I Let You Go FREE on Kindle.


Comments

Unknown said…
Letting go rarely feels good, love the Lord of the Rings, comparison, but in the end it is often better
Kyra Lennon said…
Ah, that must have been really difficult, to leave behind the home you really made your own. I'm really pleased everything worked out for the best!

Thanks for joining in with the bloghop!
Glad the world didn't combust - that would be bad!
Sally said…
It's frightening when we're taken out of our comfort zone. I would hate to move but realistically I will have to take the plunge one day.
Jennifer Lane said…
Downloaded!

I'm glad you've made the best of a tough move. Martha Stewart is overrated.
Janie Junebug said…
I'm so glad I let go -- of Dr. X, but not his money, honey.

Love,
Janie
LD Masterson said…
I'm surprised you don't have a bunch of empty nesters chiming in her. In some ways, it's the ultimate letting go.
Suze said…
Vebs, I loved this. It makes me want to write you an email and ask you to lunch.

(The 'freakish tallishness' bit made me smile through that tight little feeling the rest of it had me sensing in my chest.)
Jackie said…
When I drive by the house I grew up in (which is maybe once a year) my heart aches. I miss it, but I have the great memories. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story!
M Pax said…
Since I seem to move a lot, I never really attached to a place. But when it seemed we would have to leave the town where we now live, I wept as if someone had dies. I'm forever thankful we didn't have to leave, because I feel I finally found the place I belong.
Christine Rains said…
Great story. Not everything always goes our way, and it takes a lot of courage to be okay with it. Thanks for sharing!
Cynthia said…
Saying hello from the blog hop...moving is hard, but there will be new opportunities for you, I hope!
Tammy Theriault said…
blog hopping and new follower here! i can remember having to move from each of my kids' first home, such memories...
Trisha said…
This must have been really tough, but it sounds like it worked out for the best! Besides, it was clearly necessary at the time :)
dolorah said…
Family makes a house a home. And the memories that are created. But I know how hard it is to pull up, pack up, and start anew.

On the bright side is a clean house, for a few months anyways, lol.

......dhole
I feel your pain. I have a tiny house I am super attached to and would be heart broken to leave.

On a side note...I bought your book. Saw it during Alex's last hop and since I am an eighties junkies, I did the click to buy. Can't wait to read it!
Moving out of a comfort zone and embracing change is difficult for most people. Glad it seemed to work out for you.
I'm checking in from the blog hop.
Michael Di Gesu said…
Ah, Sweets,


I had no idea... It is sad puling up roots. But you made it work for you.. AND you are not alone. Imagine having to do that by yourself for work, or you couldn't afford it on your own anymore.

I know how you feel. I left my beloved city and have never had the chance to move back... I regret it every day, but if I hadn't left, I wouldn't have had all the experiences in the other cities I have lived in, which eventually took me to Chicago and meeting YOU!

So you see, sometimes we have to leave our homes and move on.

Ah, hell, my vision.s blurring... you've mad a grown man cry.... happy now.. Lol.

I have a new excerpt from my new wip.. the film noir novella at my blog... drop by if you get a sec.
Lynn(e) Schmidt said…
That spider still freaks me out. This is an awesome Letting Go story. I'm glad you're in a better place :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...