The Next Big Thing - Question #2

This is the 2nd installment of THE NEXT BIG THING, a blog challenge in which we answer 10 questions about our current works in progress. The challenge was started by Gail Baugniet, and the idea is to answer one question each week and by that point have our WIPs moved on to the next phase.

I'm basing my answers on my upcoming novel, Divine Temptation (due out from Omnific Publishing in early 2013). By the end of the 10 weeks I hope to have  it through the meatiest part of the editing process. You can play along by either answering this week's question in the comments below or posting your answers at your own blog. See my first post on TNBT for the full set of questions.  Right then, ready for the second question?

Where did the idea come from for the book?

If I recall correctly...I was in the midst of reading too many Young Adult paranormal novels, and I thought it would be interesting to instead see how an adult woman---an experienced, mature, responsible, practical, somewhat jaded woman---would react to an otherworldly white knight suddenly inserting himself into her life. I'd also been wanting to write something that would make a comment on the current state of suburbia-as-I-see-it (influenced by Death by Suburb: How to Keep the  Suburbs from Killing Your Soul by David L. Goetz) and so the two ideas melded and from there the plot thickened.

Jennifer Lane is also answering these questions (she's the one who tagged me) so hop on over to her blog to see her weekly answers.  And L.G. Smith over at Bards and Prophets tackled the whole list of questions in one post.


Comments

Adult novel - good for you!
JJ said…
The challenge sounds great. I will look back to the beginning and decide whether to take the plunge. Thanks.
Janie Junebug said…
Your novel is not called "Four Elvises." You are so silly. And funny. And a good writer.

Love,
Janie
Suze said…
'I thought it would be interesting to instead see how an adult woman---an experienced, mature, responsible, practical, somewhat jaded woman---would react to an otherworldly white knight suddenly inserting himself into her life.'

Nick, use that. It works! It's 'hooky.'
Tara Tyler said…
i didnt know it was one question a week! i answered all at once too! i like the developmental idea! and your inspiration!
Heather Murphy said…
I'm glad this woman is "somewhat jaded". That will add a little spark to her predicament :) I can't wait to read it!
Kittie Howard said…
An adult novel! Yes! Need more of them. Loved how you got the idea.

The wedding was great (hope to post soonest) and I'm cruising with my WIP's edit after pushing the rock up hill this past week. Thanks for your support.

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...