80s TV Shows: Wild about Winnie

The Wonder Years
1988 - 1993

Click image to watch original show opening
Possibly thee cutest series ever on TV.  This is a double look back, because we're looking back at this 80s show that looked back at growing up in the 60s/70s.  What made it even more fun for my family was that my sister was Winnie Cooper's 1980s doppelgänger---no wonder Fred Savage's character had such a crush on her throughout the series!


Quote:
"When you're a little kid you're a bit of everything: scientist, philosopher, artist. Sometimes it seems like growing up is giving these things up one at a time."

Trivia:
This coming of age TV series was inspired by a classic 1983 movie.
Can you name the movie? 


Comments

Unknown said…
This show was one of my favorites.
Loved that show. I wonder what 1983 movie inspired this. I know Fred Savage is the cute kid in The Princess Bride. And I know Winnie became a scientist. But that doesn't answer your question, does it?
Suze said…
I loved, loved, loved this show. It made me tear up on a regular basis and I am actually extremely curious to know which movie it was based on.

Love your trivia questions! This has quickly become one of my favorite blogs.
Anne Gallagher said…
I liked this show until Fred Savage's voice changed. He was cute as a kid and his crush on Winnie was sweet.

I'll say the movie was -- Stand by Me, but I'm probably way off. Wasn't that made in the 90's.
g-girl said…
interesting. i had to google your trivia question. i learned something new. i love that this is in reruns on the hub. i get my daily fill of happy days, wonder years, doogie howser, family ties, AND laverne and shirley. :)
Plain Jane said…
I was watching The Princess Bride the other day with my little brother and he asked me if Fred Savage had ever been in anything else. I was so surprised that a 19year old had never heard of The Wonder Years, but time passes. I loved that show.
nutschell said…
I loved this show! I was so amazed to see Danica Mckellar (Winnie Cooper) all grown up and writing math books! I think she graduated with a masters in math?
nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Liz P said…
One of my all-time favorites! I watched it when it aired new and anytime I caught it on reruns, it was a definite watch.

Winnie always made me so mad 'cuz she couldn't make up her mind about being with Kevin.

Still not officially released on DVD due to legal mumbo-jumbo with all the music. :(

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...