80s TV Shows: Reluctant Romance

Remington Steele
1982 - 1987

Click image to watch Remington Steele Intro.
Hullo, Pierce Brosnan.What I remember most about this show is being freaked out that my mom had such a crush on the man masquerading as Remington Steele, the fictitious boss invented by independent P.I. Laura Holt. 

Quote:
"Someone ALWAYS shoots at us when we're kissing!"

Trivia:
One of the show's early writers and producers, Glenn Gordon Caron, quit after the first ten episodes to start his own production company.  He went on to write and produce another hit 80s TV show, also about a pair of bickering "I hate you/I love you" detectives.  Know what it was?

More info on Remington Steele and other 80s TV Shows

Comments

Tara Tyler said…
could it be "Moonlighting?"
I love that show!
Happy R day!
My guess would be Moonlighting as well. And Brosnan was outstanding in The Thomas Crown Affair.
g-girl said…
i liked the banter and all the trouble they would get into. lol
Michael Di Gesu said…
I'm remembering a show with Susan St. James and Rock Hudson... I can't remember the name of it. They were a husband and wife team.

BUt now that I see Moonlighting I guess that's what it is. NOW that was great show.

I never really watched Remington Steele.
Anne Gallagher said…
Oh, another of my faves. Loved Pierce Brosnan in this. Never liked him as Bond though.

And I'll go along with the crowd and say Moonlighting. Bruce Willis, (back then) yum.
I didn't realize that was Pierce Brosnan. Never made the connection between this and Bond. He is a very, very good-looking guy. Very.
Lynn Reed said…
Thanks for talking about the show. It's one of my favorites.

Quick note though in my capacity as student of pop culture history -- although Glen Caron did write and produce a number of the early episodes, he didn't create Remington Steele. The credit goes to Bob Butler and Michael Gleason, who ran the show for the entire run.

Caron doesn't speak fondly of his brief time on Remington and was forced by powers that be at ABC to create what he derisively called "another boy-girl detective show", which turned into Moonlighting. There's an interview posted at http://www.emmytvlegends.org/ that runs through the whole history. He though Moonlighting would kill the genre, and it may have.

Gleason, on the other hand, loved the genre, and I think that shows in how well the Remington Steele episodes still hold up 25 years later.

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...