Hans & Greta 2-point-Awesome! & Custom Book Cover Designs by @CarolOates

When I posted the video trailer for Hans & Greta earlier this week, some of you commented on the great book cover. It was designed by Carol Oates of Custom Book Cover Designs.  Carol was an absolute delight to work with. I highly recommend her for covers & promo graphics.

To recap my update on Wednesday's post: I received excellent feedback on the trailer, and from everyone's reaction it seems like I was on the right track. Something about it once we got past the "Psycho Girl" slide niggled at me, but it wasn't until the wonderful Liz Blocker voiced what I couldn't put my finger on that I realized what I needed to do to get this thing to maximum awesomeness. Thank you, Liz!

So what do we writers do when we see that our work could be better? Edit. And that's what I did. Even though I was  happy with the original video, I'm thuh-rilled with this new one (but I'm still open to critiques, promise).

In addition to fixing the thing that niggled at me, the edit gave me the opportunity to get rid of something else that bugged me. The original ended with a change in the tuneage to a melancholy sort of drone, and that just doesn't fit with the story. Hans & Greta is edgy the whole way through, so it's entirely appropriate that the trailer music stay that way too. AND, as Alex just pointed out, this new version adds something that was missing before---humor. I also like to think the story has plenty of that.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Hans & Greta two-point-AWESOME!




Comments

Now it has a nice twist of humor!
Unknown said…
I love the trailer. Great job. Thank you for the mention. :)
Julie Flanders said…
Loved it from the start but this is even better. Great work! :)
Janie Junebug said…
It's wonderful, and it's definitely funny.

Love,
Janie
A nice twist and a good book trailer can be very powerful.
Tara Tyler said…
cool trailer! and wicked fun cover!
and i think every story needs an element of humor - nothing real is THAT serious!

happy weekend!
It's amazing how the editing process works. Some changes are easy and others take a while to figure out.
Liz Blocker said…
It's so silly that I never commented on this post!! I was at work when you posted it and tweeted, and I snuck away to watch the promo on my cell phone (I may have watched it more than once... ;) ), and then I had to run back to work and didn't get a chance to sit down and say "OMG I LOVE THIS." You took my vagueish critique, ran with it, and produced a FREAKING GORGEOUS promo in a day. The pace is sooooo good now - it's fast, and intriguing, and sexy (still love that studly guy shot...), and a little bit creepy. PERFECT!

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...