Underrated Treasures: The Big Picture

Today is the newest of Alex J. Cavannaugh's famous & fun blogfests: Underrated Treasures, in which we tell you about movies, books, TV shows and/or songs that don't get the attention we think they deserve. I'm sure no one will be surprised that my underrated treasure dates back to the 1980s.

The Big Picture (1989) fell victim to the Hollywood politics it pokes fun at and was only in theaters in limited release before going to video. According to IMDb, it had a box office take of a measly $117,000. The movie is about a promising film school graduate (Kevin Bacon) who is seduced by Hollywood's ways and doesn't see the big picture until everything falls apart. It's got a good message for creative types who hope to make it big one day, but mostly I like it for it's sarcastic, quirky humor. Martin Short, anyone? It's been a long time since I've actually watched the movie, yet I think about it often and still make The Big Picture references---which nobody gets because it seems hardly anyone else has seen the movie. Have you?

A fun scene from The Big Picture:





Comments

Jackie said…
I haven't heard of this movie, but I'm all about sarcastic, quirky humor so I need to check it out! :)
L. Diane Wolfe said…
That video clip was funny. I don't know how I missed that Kevin Bacon film.
Dani said…
Oh my gosh!! Too funny. I like K. Bacon so I'll definitely check it out!
I never heard of this movie either.
Anonymous said…
Hi, Nicki. Thanks for sharing about this movie for the Underrated Treasures Blogfest.
I've never heard of this movie! And Kevin Bacon was in it? Wow!

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
Loni Townsend said…
Martin Short! I do enjoy his work. I've never seen The Big Picture, but I really like Pure Luck with him in it.
I've heard of the film but never watched it. From the clip, I bet it's out there.
Thanks for participating in my blogfest!
Suze said…
Do you know if this is on Netflix?
I think I never watched this film because it was about the entertainment industry. I also picked a movie with Kevin Bacon.
Margo Kelly said…
I love Kevin Bacon, but I've never heard of this movie. Thanks for the recommendation.
Laurel Garver said…
Quirky humor, yes! This sounds fun. Thanks for highlighting it!
Unknown said…
one of the great Kevin Bacon films, that has a lot of heart, cameos and will the great videos... well okay the one you shared. lol.

Jeremy [HWR:OLM]
Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine
Carrie-Anne said…
The title sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't remember seeing this movie.
S. L. Hennessy said…
Despite Kevin Bacon, it sounds pretty good. Great choice!
Chrys Fey said…
This is the second Kevin Bacon movie I've seen so far for this blogfest. :)
Cherie Colyer said…
I haven't heard of this one either. Fun clip, though. :)
Arlee Bird said…
I'm one of the many who missed this film. Might be my cup o' tea though.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Stephen Tremp said…
I have not heard of this one. But thanks for the clip. I do like rooftop filmings as they are fun. Makes me want to climb to the top of my house.
dolorah said…
Yep, gotta perservere with those dreams. This was cool Nicki.
Mark Means said…
This another Kevin Bacon film I've never heard of. He sure did a lot of work back in the 90s :)
Janie Junebug said…
Never seen it. Never heard of it. Curious now. No wonder Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon works. He's been in movies no one knows about, except the one person who can play to win.

Love,
Janie
Tara Tyler said…
nope, and i bet kevin would like to keep it that way, ha!
fun fest!
Misha Gerrick said…
Haven't seen The Big Picture, but is sounds like my sort of movie.
J Lenni Dorner said…
Nope, can't say that I've seen it.
Good pick.

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...