Insecure Writer's Support Group

Welcome to this month's edition of Insecure Writer's Support Group, brainchild of none other than Alex J. Cavanaugh---who's going to light the Blogosphere on fiyah at the end of the month with his Catch Fire! event to celebrate the upcoming release of his second novel, CassaFire.

Hey, I didn't realize until I started typing this that Alex's event ties in with what I want to talk about today.  See, it's my observation that most of us writer types aren't the greedy sort.  If money was what we were after, we'd spend less time writing and more time doing whatever it is people do to make gobs of cash. So all these efforts to promote our books aren't really about money at all---they're about doing right by our story, doing whatever we can to get it out there so it can reach and entertain the types of readers it's meant to reach and entertain.

That's a powerful incentive, but there's always something promotion-wise we could be doing, and it gets exhausting. Ever since my first novel was released, I've repeatedly told myself (and my kids and husband) "Okay, now I'm done promoting." But then a new idea will hit me, some avenue left unexplored...or simply a hair-brained scheme that strikes me as fun, and I'm at it again.  Is it like that for anyone else?

I also realize, however, that at some point I've got to drop the reins and let my book either take off, tread water, or sink all on it's own.  I can only control so much. With my book's two-year anniversary coming up later this month, and with a brand new manuscript calling for my attention, I honestly feel ready to do that.  But...there's just...one more...thing...

I've not given my Amazon presence much attention, so before I officially put Three Daves on autopilot, I'm going to try to figure out a non-obnoxious way to ask people to post an Amazon review---any advice on that would be much appreciated!  Also, I keep hearing the Amazon Tag thingies are important for "You might also like" recommendations.  In that regard, Francine Howarth at Romancing the Blog has come up with a brilliant idea---a Tag Party!  It's going on this weekend so there's still time to sign up.  It's a great way to help your book & help other authors at the same time.

Comments

Stina said…
I have no idea what the tags mean. Everyone at my local RWA chapter (who've published novels, novellas, and short stories) keeps asking members to 'like' and tag their books on Amazon (even if they haven't read the story), and a lot of people oblige the request. Because of this, I don't bother to look at these markers. I now consider them meaningless. Sad that something that was supposed to help a reader select a book has been misused by so many.

I'm glad, though, you didn't do this. :D
I did manage to set up an author page on Amazon and do some tags. But you're right, at some point, you let it go and see what happens.
LOLing at the phrase that promoting our books isn't about money for writers. It's about getting readers. Which makes me wonder, is that why we blog? Because we know people will read at least SOMETHING we're writing? Can you tell i"m feeling insecure today too?
This is really interesting.
(Of course, I'm so far from this point that I can't even imagine what it's like.) :)
Cherie Reich said…
The tag party idea is a good one. And yeah, at some point, you got to let it go. Promote yourself, and people will find the book by themselves. :)
Tara Tyler said…
i've never posted a review anywhere but my blog. guess i should if i want any later! couldnt figure it out on amazon, email me some help?

and promoting sounds like a nec evil. guess thats why we prepare so long before we put the book out. yay.
M Pax said…
Concentrate on the new. That will help bump sales of the previous.

I'm pretty sure I put a review for you on Amazon. Did I? If not, let me know and I'll get it up there. I know I left you one other places. I loved Three Daves. :)

I put a polite request at the end of my books/stories.
Janie Junebug said…
You're it!

Love,
Janie
Kittie Howard said…
I agree. At some point we have to let it go and see if the cork will float on the water. I also agree about not writing for the money. Great post.
I'll have to read your book and leave an Amazon review. It's on my to do list now.
Suze said…
'If money was what we were after, we'd spend less time writing and more time doing whatever it is people do to make gobs of cash.'

Ha! Excellent point, my dear.
Jennifer Lane said…
Wow, you've got a Tebow Cult Initiate commenting on your blog--lucky you! I have already tagged Three Daves but I just discovered haven't posted my review on Amazon :0 so I will rectify that right now!
Susan Oloier said…
When things calm down in my life, I'd be happy to write an Amazon review of Three Daves. I think it was awesome--took me right back to the late 80s!
Debra Anastasia said…
Tagged, liked, joined, High fived, made you tea and scrubbed up with your Write Club soap.
Anonymous said…
Hi! Nice to meet you via this tag blogfest. I'm now following too. Have tagged your book, but didn't see the "like" button so I'll check back later :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...