Stories Unplanned #IWSG

Hola, insecure writers! I'm skating in here at the last minute, so let's get right to that Optional Question: 

Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? 

Up until now, no, not really. I did have a short story idea grow into a novella, and an idea for one book grew into a series of three, but I'm not sure if those really count. I'm letting both the form and genre find me on my current story idea, though. Right now, I'm thinking it'll be outside my typical chick litty romance genre...but somehow you know elements of my comfort zone are going to find ways to work themselves in. It could be a whole novel or just a novella. Maybe even a short story...or a series of short stories??

In other writerly news, my latest chick litty novel, MOLLY UNPLANNED, released yesterday! 


I've found that a strategy of pricing at 99 cents for release and then advertising in a bunch of discount book e-newsletters is a pretty stress-free way of doing it, and I'm happy with the results. Molly's running in a few more newsletters today and tomorrow, so maybe I'll get even happier. 

Reviews are tough to get at low budget and low effort, but through an offer to my email subscribers and a couple of giveaways at LibraryThing, I got the book into 38 readers' hands pre-release, and I (barely) beat my goal of having 5 reviews posted at Amazon on release day. 

But the BEST news? So far readers are enjoying the story! The one thing that hasn't changed since I first started writing and posting my stories at fanfiction sites is that I still get giddy every time someone takes the time to write a review and tell me they enjoyed my story. ðŸ˜Š

How are you all doing this month?

This post is part of the:


Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds. This wonderful group for writers was begun by the one and clonely Alex J. Cavannaugh.

This month's awesome co-hosts are:

Comments

Congratulations on the release! Glad the advertising and low price are working.
Congratulations! And how great that readers are loving it. Yeh, you! :)
Jennifer Lane said…
A very solid release day performance for an excellent read!I want to pick your brain more about Library Thing--I haven't been active there at all.
Carrie-Anne said…
Congratulations on your new release! Having good reviews so soon is a wonderful achievement.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
Congrats! I get giddy, too. Just as much when readers love my authors' books, too.
Olga Godim said…
Congratulations on your release. A good review is such a treat!
Pat Garcia said…
Hi,
Congratulations on your release. I do love to sit read a good story that's not so heavy about love and have purchased your book. It looks like something I will enjoy.
All the best on your launch.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange
Natalie Aguirre said…
Congrats on your book's release. And awesome that you figured out a way to market it that works for you.
Congrats on the new release. And thanks for sharing your marketing plan and the results. I always take note of what others do.
Michael Di Gesu said…
Hi Nicki,

Congrats on the release! So happy it is going well so far. Seems like all is going well in the 'burbs.' Galena is lovely as ever, but with the increase in tourists, the virus is escalating an alarming pace for here. Sold the condo in Orlando and sadly I have to go back to pack and move everything out. This is the LAST place I want to be with COVID surging in every crevice of Florida. I can't wait to come home and self quarantine for a stressful two weeks while praying I have survived.... Please keep me in your prayers and good thoughts. I would LOVE to see you sometime this fall...
Mandy said…
Congrats on the release! SO glad you get such joy from reviews!

With Love,
Mandy

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...