Estoy Triste #IWSG

I knew that if I was here for the June Insecure Writer's Support Group, I'd be sad. Don't take it personally. If I have to be sitting here, I'm glad it's with you. But I wish I wasn't sitting here.

You see, I was supposed to be jetting to Peru today (and by jetting, I mean crammed into the cheapest economy seat).

A few months ago, when we were daydreaming, I posted a picture of some ruins in the Andes Mountains surrounding Ollantaytambo. I WAS GOING TO CLIMB TO THOSE RUINS and spend a day with local women, learning how to weave and do a hundred other super cool things.

But it's not just the heartbreak of a cancelled trip that has me so down. I'm concerned for all the wonderful people I'd hoped to meet and spend my soles with: the independent hostel owners and staff, the restaurateurs, the street vendors, the craftswomen, the waiters, the cab drivers, the colectivo drivers, the boot polishers, the tour guides.

In an attempt to control the spread of COVID-19, the Peruvian government acted swiftly and aggressively to shut down the country's borders and put its people on lockdown—now one of the longest lockdowns in the world, even longer than in Italy, Spain, and China. The hardships we feel during shutdown in developed nations is nothing compared to the toll it takes on people in countries lacking our infrastructure and resources. I'm not saying aggressive measures aren't necessary to combat the aggressive virus. I'm simply saying, this sucks.

And hey, in the spirit of 2020, how about some sudden death for my darling pet rabbit. Sure, why not?
Frolic in peace, sweet angel Gamgee girl.
But here's why I chose to title this post en españolthe Spanish language has two forms of the verb meaning "to be." One is used for states of being that are more permanent: Yo soy americana—I am American. The other is typically used for states of being that are temporary: Yo estoy aquí y estoy tristeI am here, and I am sad. Temporary states of being. I know I won't stay sad. And I know I won't stay herePeru 2021, baby!

Until then, I'll visit the gorgeous Andean Condor I adopted at Brookfield Zoo (once it freaking reopens), enjoy a purse woven by amazing Awamaki craftswomen near Ollantaytambo, donate to hard-hit organizations in Peru that are close to my heart, drink Inca Kola, and attempt to make a traditional Peruvian dish. And I will pray, pray, pray that when I return to that beautiful country, I'll find its beautiful people thriving.

Ohhhh golly, this didn't have much to do with writing, did it? Wait a minuteyes, it totally did. Writing this post helped me work out some of my angst and redirect it toward better places. It's a classic example of writing as therapy. Thanks for reading. :)

This post is part of the:


Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds. This wonderful group for writers was begun by the one and clonely Alex J. Cavannaugh.


This month's awesome co-hosts are:
 Pat Garcia
J.Q. Rose
Natalie Aguirre

Comments

L. Diane Wolfe said…
I'm sorry you lost your bunny and your trip. Yes, that lockdown is going to hurt them so badly. (It's terrifying how many millions will starve to death this year because of the lockdown and the economy.) They will be very happy to see you next year.
Jennifer Lane said…
Que triste, amiga. Ojala que podamos viajar a países fantásticos pronto. (Probably screwing up the conjugation there!)
I'm so sorry to hear about your rabbit. And how disappointing about missing your trip. I can't wait for 2020 to be over. Sigh.
Natalie Aguirre said…
So sorry that you lost your rabbit in these hard times. And it must be so disappointing not to be able to go on your trip. Hopefully it will be safer to travel sometime in the near future.
Very sorry about your rabbit.
Keep praying and do what you can from afar for that country.
Carrie-Anne said…
My condolences on the loss of your dear bunny. I also hope you're able to have the Peru trip of your dreams as soon as lockdown ends. This is an awful year.
I'm sorry about the cancelled trip. This whole situation has been so difficult and it's forced us all to give up so many things that we wanted and that are important to us. I was looking forward to summer break all year (I'm a teacher, as you know), and now that it's finally here I can't fully enjoy it because so many places are still closed or will only let people go in to pick up things.
Pat Garcia said…
Hi,
I am happy that writing this post helped you deal with the frustration of not being where you wanted to be. Let's hope they find a vaccine soon. But even then, things will never be like they once were.
All the best and thanks for being a part of IWSG.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange
Janie Junebug said…
I'm sorry about your trip cancellation, and I'm very sorry about your pretty bunny.

Love,
Janie
Liza said…
Writing is wonderful therapy. Honestly, I think I'd explode without it. I hope you trip goes off successfully next year.

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...