"Holy Hell" - This is Why I Write #IWSG

Optional Question:
What started you on your writing journey? Was it a particular book, movie, story, or series? Was it a teacher/coach/spouse/friend/parent? Did you just "know" suddenly you wanted to write?

I love that this question came right now. I was just reminded of the very first novel-length story I ever wrote and why I wrote it. But first---how did I come to write it? My journey to writerhood was the result of 3 major factors:

1. I've always been a daydreamer. As a small child I'd spend hours rocking in the La-Z-Boy with my parents' easy-listening radio station playing in the background, just thinking and imagining to the likes of Olivia Newton-John and Barry Manilow. The clouds are still my favorite place to put my head...but I listen to better music now.

2. I dig words. I'd always thought of myself as more of a numbers person, but as I forged a career as an investment analyst and my (tor)mentor beat me down until I finally mastered the written portion of our quarterly reports, I realized that writing had become my favorite part of the job.

3. The Harry Potter series ended. I'd been a bit obsessed (when I say obsessed, I mean OBSESSED), and I couldn't stand how it all ended for one of the characters. So, I daydreamed a story for him. That daydream had more teeth than all those previous and wouldn't leave me alone until I started writing it out. By the time the story was complete, I was prisoner of a new obsession---writing fiction.

The other day, when the review below came in on Fanfiction(dot)net for that vert first story I ever wrote, I was thrilled (still am): 



Isn't that why we all keep writing and putting our work out there? To give someone the story they've been looking for for a LONG time?




This post is part of the:

Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds. This wonderful group for writers was begun by the one and clonely Alex J. Cavannaugh.

This month's awesome Co-Hosts

Comments

Jennifer Lane said…
Yes those fan fiction reviews were SO motivating! LOL about easy listening music. I wouldn't call myself a daydreamer, but I am a very visual person who would plot out movie scenes in my head before falling asleep. Happy New Year, CP!
Love this! How great that it was Harry Potter that really got you going with fiction. And that review is fantastic, the kind most writers dream of getting. :)
I identify with your first two points. JW Rowling is an outstanding writer, but I'm not obsessed with Harry Potter. My daughter is!!!

Teresa
That is why we write!
And very happy to hear your musical tastes have improved...
Sadira Stone said…
Ah yes, the Harry Potter series provides soooo much fuel for fan fiction. I wish you happy writing in 2020, and congratulations on the glowing review.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
I'm still a daydreamer. i just need time to write it all down.
Natalie Aguirre said…
I'm a daydreamer too. And reading Harry Potter really got me into writing.
R's Rue said…
Thank you.
Karen Baldwin said…
Daydreaming in a recliner listening to music.? The environment where stories come from. Glad you pursued.
We're all so lucky that you dig words. :) Yeah, being a dreamer by nature is a big reason I started writing. I like the escape. And if I can create an escape - no matter how brief - for others, all the better.
Carrie-Anne said…
Probably the majority of writers are daydreamers! Putting pen to paper or pixels to screen makes those dreams come true vicariously.
Janie Junebug said…
I have always been so in love with books that I suppose writing came naturally to me.

Love,
Janie
Tara Tyler said…
awesome coming of age writing story -- how inspiring to receive such praise!
and well-deserved, glad you're a writer and that we're writer friends!

happy 2020!
and thanks for your sweet words at my place. one of these days we'll meet!

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...