It's Not Paranoia if It's True July #IWSG

Happy July! Y'know, this monthly meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group really puts the ol' highlighter to how quickly time moves. I hope you're all have great summers - or winters, depending on which hemisphere you inhabit. Here's a picture of what's going on in my corner of Illinois. Yes, that's yet another storm rolling in from the west. WHATEVER!




An update for those of you who remember the tadpole video from last month: the tire tracks have dried up but I see no evidence of dried up frog babies, so let's all assume they grew their little legs in the nick of time and hopped off to live full, rich lives, okay? Now, onto the IWSG question of the month...


What personal traits have you written into your characters? 

Most of my female main characters have difficulty fully trusting people---the leading man in particular. They get that from me, and it's what ends up causing  the most conflict in their relationships. From the time I was young, I realized that when a lot of my "friends" were coming to my house to hang out with me, they were actually there because they wanted a chance to hang out with my cute older brother. I understood that my high school boyfriend had no idea who I really was but only wanted a girlfriend and...you know, what most teen-aged boys want.

Although I tend to still be distrustful by nature, I think I've gotten better at accepting that some people may actually like me for me. But my characters are a lot younger than me and haven't learned that yet. So many of them will continue "putting up walls," as we say in #BachelorNation, and thank goodness---because otherwise, my novels would all be about two pages long.  


There are two reasons why we don't trust people. 
First---we don't know them.
Second---we know them. 
~Anonymous


This post is part of the:

Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) PurposeTo share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Join us.

CO-HOSTS
Erika Beebe
Natalie Aguirre
Jennifer Lane
MJ Fifield
Lisa Buie-Collard
Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor!

Comments

I once heard someone say - not in an arrogant or conceited way - that when they walk into a room, they just figure people will like them. What must that feel like?! Sheesh! Maybe my suspicious nature is too busy slitting my eyes and trying to figure everyone out.... :)
M.J. Fifield said…
"So many of them will continue "putting up walls," as we say in #BachelorNation, and thank goodness---because otherwise, my novels would all be about two pages long." <---Love this line. Very relatable. :)

Gorgeous pics, by the way!
Natalie Aguirre said…
I can see how not trusting a guy can add a lot of tension to your story I think we all put some of ourselves into our stories.
Young people are distrustful and trustful - rather all over the map. I'm sure that gives you a lot to write about.
Hope the frogs did hop off.
Jennifer Lane said…
Wow, I haven't noticed the mistrust of your female characters as being an obvious thing--how interesting. Sometimes they're with cads who do them wrong (or family members who are obnoxious) so maybe their mistrust is wise.

I definitely love you for who you are! I'm lucky to have met you.
Michael Di Gesu said…
Hey, Nicki!

I see I'm not missing much in Chicago/burbs.... I'm still in Orlando. I should be returning by the end of this month or the beginning of August. It's been AGES....hopefully we'll be able to connect this year. Lol.

Excellent question and answer for this month! Love the quote!
Distrust is on the top of my character trait list also. My daughter suffered from the cute older brother thing also.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
I dated a lot of those boys who just wanted what teenage boys wanted.
Janie Junebug said…
Hi, Vebbie! Your photo looks like every afternoon in Florida with the storm, but not the farmhouse and barn (I think that's what they are) in the distance. When I have a lot of rain and Lake Junebug fills up, the water teems with tadpoles. When it dries up, some of the tadpoles die and then the scum is covered with flies. Yuck! Every boy I dated wanted one thing and they expected to get it in a car. So romantic! They did not get what they wanted until I decided to give it.

Love,
Janie
Julie Flanders said…
I hope the little frogs did make it out. Aww!
I don't trust many people even now. A queen of putting up walls. I had to laugh at that quote about the reasons because it is spot on in many ways LOL.
Olga Godim said…
Love your quote - so true! I also have trouble trusting people, and I'm not young. My inability to trust might've created some problems in my relationships as well. I think many people would understand and sympathize, so it is a good trait to incorporate in your fictional characters.
Mandy said…
I'm probably a lot like your character. I have a hard time trusting people too. It's good to hear that you managed to outgrow that! Any recommendations for someone still working on it? Then again, maybe I should just read one of your books! :)
Tara Tyler said…
hows it going? blog looks good and i bet your books are too! i see another solid series has “hit” the shelves!
i’d love to hear how you’re doing =) sorry it’s been so long since i stopped by!

Tara Tyler Talks

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...