I'm Baaaaack! IWSG: March 2019



Hi everyone! I've finally made it back to the Insecure Writer's Support Group - and I've finally finished the first chapter in the second part of my current WIP. *whew* Let's hope this is the beginning of a pattern.

I don't have any good reason for having stepped away for so long, just got distracted by other shiny objects. I honestly got scared there for a bit that this writing thing was just a phase that had passed, but I've felt the pull back to it and am happy, happy.

Today, as I dip a toe back into feeling like a writer, I just want to remind everyone that no matter how stagnant you may feel in your writing, no matter how many steps you feel like you're taking backward, you're still way, way ahead of where you were when you started this writing journey.

EVIDENCE:
My cousin recently returned this correspondence to my mum. It was written many moons ago by 7-year-old me to my dear, sweet Aunt Leona, whom we lost last December.
(My real name is Bev. My penname is derived from my last name: Nickelson) 

I love her even more for having saved this. ❤️ 

Hmm, I guess that's another lesson we can learn here - even though our writing isn't perfect, it can still bring joy to someone. So, keep on writing and learning and growing! I look forward to catching up with you.

Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Join us.

Comments

Welcome back!

How sweet she saved that! You really just never know when our words will bring someone joy or comfort. :)
Welcome back! (You might need to sign up again.)
At least your writing was prity back then.
Carrie-Anne said…
Welcome back to the writing world! Sometimes there are big gaps in our writing journey, either altogether or for certain aspects, but all that matters is finding our way back and becoming stronger than ever.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
Welcome back.

I think I have a couple letters like that my mom saved. Ugh!
Aww that is so cute and meaningful. I love notes from our younger selves to others.

Teresa
It is really sweet that she saved that. Farmers let their fields lie fallow for a season to enrich the soil for greater harvests. Welcome to great literary harvests! :-) Happy renewed writing,
Yay on two fronts! It's great that you're back, but also that you've finished up some of that writing. It feels amazing, right?
Jennifer Lane said…
That letter from little Bev makes me die from cuteness!

Hooray that my CP is back! I too fear that this writing thing was just a phase so I'm glad to hear that you're feeling your writing mojo again. Can't wait to read more Molly!

*sings boy band music* Nicki's back, back again...Nicki's back, tell a friend!
Oh, that's so precious! I love your takeaway -- even when our writing isn't perfect, it may bring joy we don't even know about.
Natalie Aguirre said…
Glad you're back blogging and writing more. Hope to see you every month and here more about your ups and downs of writing. Hope they are mostly up experiences.
Anonymous said…
Welcome back! We all need a break now and then. But it's so great that you're back in the groove, learning and growing. And what an awesome memento! So sweet.
cleemckenzie said…
This is a perfect example of why writing is so important. It's a beautiful way to share our feelings and it lasts to refresh our memories of days past. Thank you for showing us your heartfelt note.
YAY!! Glad to see you're back!!!
Melissa said…
They say that if you're truly a writer, you can't not write. You might take breaks, but you're eventually drawn back to it.
F. Stone said…
Distracted by shiny things? You made me chuckle. I've thought of myself as an old crow given my penchant for sparkly things. Have you seen the movie, The Secret of Nimh? My favorite character is the crow. I watch it every time I need to see the bright side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLE65PZ30tM
Blessings
dolorah said…
Aww, that was adorable. And you are right about the writing journey; even though I have long periods of no writing, when I do write something, its infinitely better on first draft the it was 15 years ago at 4th revision!

Congrats on the start of a new project :)
That's a cute letter!

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...