Whoa! Last IWSG of the year.

Thank you, thank you to my marvelous crit partner, Jennifer Lane, who gave me the reminder that today's the final 2017 meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Since I'm scrambling, I'll go right into the optional IWSG day question:

As you look back on 2017, with all its successes and failures, if you could backtrack, what would you do differently?

Hmm, I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, I didn't get a heck of a lot written this year, so I wish I'd set myself some firmer, more clearly defined goals from the get-go. On the other hand, I enjoyed separating from my writer-self and seeing that I'm still a whole person without it. It was a good 2017, so in the end, I guess I wouldn't go back and change a thing. 

One thing I've learned though...
When I 'm in the throes of writing, I always feel guilty that I'm not getting as much done around the house as I should - the cleaning, the cooking, the blah blah blah. I used to blame all the time spent writing. But in 2017, without doing so much writing, I STILL didn't get much of that stuff done. Ergo, it wasn't writing's fault! So, in 2018, when I get back to the writing, I can erase that old guilt. :)

Happy December, everyone. Merry, merry Christmas & happy Hanukkah 

This post is part of the monthly blog hop/therapy session known as Insecure Writer's Support Group, founded by the one and clonely Alex J. Cavanaugh. Click below to join the group!

Comments

Julie Flanders said…
I've been working on remembering that I'm still a whole person even without my writer self! I started to feel like I was a failure if I didn't write all the time and all that did was cause me to write even less. Yes, I'm a mess LOL.
Face it - no one wants to do those household chores!
I wish I'd written more but like you, I'm comfortable knowing I am still me even without it.
Yeh for erasing old guilt! And really, there's "clean" then there's "clean enough." :)
Jennifer Lane said…
Ha ha I've forgotten the past two months so I thought I'd remind you! Ugh, household chores. The only time I clean is when I have visitors! I'm planning on taking a break from writing for a bit so I hope I don't feel guilty. I do enjoy weekends more without the pressure to write.
Chrys Fey said…
Realizing that we're more than writers is definitely something we all need to be aware of. It's important that we're more than writers, and we all are. Even if we don't have another creative pursuit.
Cherie Reich said…
Writing more is always better than a clean house. :) Happy Holidays!
Pat Garcia said…
Your enjoying your 2017 means a lot. Our strength lies in being able to see the query side of the coin, knowing that everything happens has a purpose.
I wish you all the best and a successful crossover into 2018.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange
L. Diane Wolfe said…
A clean house is overrated. I'm still trying to convince my husband of that. LOL
Sarah Foster said…
Ha! I guess you can't blame the writing anymore. I think I actually do the opposite. I should be writing, but it's difficult and I avoid it by doing dishes instead.
dolorah said…
Lol, I used to blame my writing for the lack of housekeeping too. Then I notice I could find any excuse not to clean house.
You're right about setting more defined goals; I think that's one thing I haven't done enough of in the past. That is, I always resolve to write more, but it'd be better to make specific goals like "I will finish and send out that story" or "I will revise this draft." Then it's easier, like checking off items on a to-do list.
TL said…
I have the same guilt, but like you the writing is only the excuse I use for not doing them. It's really just because because I hate the household chores. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Romance!

80s TV Shows: Turbulent Tranquility

In which I get rated R...eh, maybe NC 17...